Monday, July 7, 2014

An Educational Experience at a Parelli Natural Horsemanship Camp, Part 3 of 3

So, it is the final day of the camp.  Here's what happened...

Wednesday morning I showed up.  David had to go to Eau Claire the night before, so no pictures at all of this day.  Too bad.  We went out to the playground.  I worked to get Porthos into the water.  John came over and asked if I'd like help.  We worked and got Porthos into the water.  Then I did it myself.  Again and again.  It was easy.  Then we worked on the pedestal -- we got three of Porthos' big feet onto it at one time, and I was given ideas about how to work on that.  I rode Porthos and we played a mirror game with another horse/horseman team.  One would lead and the other would follow -- backing up, turning, going sideways, etc.  We did okay.  When the day was over, I was worried.  I have never been able to load Porthos by myself.  He doesn't really like the trailer.  He is BiG.  John came over and asked if I was okay.  I told him I was worried, but I thought I should try.  John said that was fine and he would be nearby if I needed help -- but I would have to ask.  Porthos didn't go in right away.  He would put one foot in and then back out.  That's okay.  It is advance and retreat.  He finally got in and I closed the divider to keep him is a smaller area toward the front (he is big enough he rocks the trailer when he moves).  It took me about five minutes.


So, the five days was hard.  I was not as good as everyone else.  I did talk to John about it.  I wondered when I saw the ad if I was good enough to attend.  I contacted John and asked what Parelli level you had to be at to attend.  He responded that it didn't matter.  The last day, before we got Porthos into the water, I told him I didn't think that was true.  I told him that I didn't feel like I belonged there.  John asked if I had learned anything during the five days.  I admitted that I had, but this wasn't really for Level One people.  He said, "But you aren't a Level One."  I was devastated -- I mean, there is no lower level.  He explained, "Kathy, you are way beyond Level One.  I knew it when you decided not to ride and you worked with Porthos on the mounting block.  You didn't throw a fit and you didn't give up.  You worked with him and now he stands still to be mounted.  You showed up when it was hard.  You are not a level One.  Now, let's get Porthos into the water."


 So, would I do it again?  Saturday through Tuesday, I'm not sure I would have said, "Yes."   Then, on Facebook someone posted a quote from Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (who was actually quoting Mary Anne Radmacher), “Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow."


I thought about all that I accomplished: Porthos will stand still when I mount from a mounting block; I can play the seven games much more fluidly and with clearer signals; I was even able to play the sixth of the seven games while riding (that is the sideways game) using only leg pressure; Porthos came to me to be haltered (even if it took 3.5 minutes, that was a lot better than when it used to take 30 minutes to convince him to get close enough to get a halter on); Porthos let me hose him off the last two days when we were done for the day; Porthos not only went into the trailer with only me there, but he came out of the trailer like a gentleman (instead of bursting out like a maniac).
Practicing the Sideways Game on the ground.

So, would I go again?  I still won't be the best, but I'll be better than I was.  I will try again.  I will be courageous.  Watch out, John and Kathy...I'll see you next year!
 

1 comment: