Sunday, July 6, 2014

An Educational Experience at a Parelli Natural Horsemanship Camp, Part 2 of 3

...so after the first two days, I was feeling pretty sad.  Did I return for more?  I guess I AM a left brain introvert (Parelli personality portrait -- it mostly means that I'm stubborn and a perfectionist), because there I was at 9:00 am Monday morning, sitting in the classroom.

I showed up, and I was able to ride.  Sadly, no pictures of me on horseback since David was at work, but I did get to mount (and Porthos stood still).  However, it was embarrassing again since everyone was doing things I didn't know how to do -- I'd spent the time they had reviewed what little I knew about technique trying to work on Porthos standing still.  Kathy Baar came to my rescue, reviewing the pieces I knew and giving me a couple of 'assignments.'  So, I was still doing my own thing -- it is hard to be different.

 John and Kathy had offered private lessons after our camp, and they filled up immediately -- but then Monday they had an opening.  Kathy was much more personable than John (sorry, John) so I asked for a lesson with her.  Did I pick riding for the private lesson?  No.  One of the reasons Porthos wasn't safe to mount was because he refused to do things like the "Circling Game," which we've done many times. 

The circling game is one of the seven games that Pat Parelli says that horses play.  I couldn't see it when I started, but now, when I watch my horses I find myself thinking, "Oh!  That's the _____ game."  It is pretty cool. 

Anyway, I asked Kathy Baar to help me with the circling game -- it looks a lot like lunging, but it is different since the horse has responsibilities.  I felt slightly better when Kathy found Porthos to be pretty unresponsive.  I thought I was probably doing it all wrong, but my basic technique was fine, I just didn't know enough when he didn't cooperate.  After a bit, Kathy had him circling, changing direction, coming toward her respectfully (not plowing into her) - yay!  And then we took him to be hosed off -- which is the second thing with which I asked for help. 
 
Porthos shies away if I have a hose or sprinkler.  I like the idea of being able to hose him off because it gets so hot and it would help him to cool down, or keep him cooler when he is stuck in the trailer on a summer day.  I knew that I was supposed to use advance and retreat technique but couldn't figure out how to do it.  It was easier than I expected.  Kathy said that it was because I'd been working with him for three days.  Anyway, by the end of the hour, I was feeling better.

Day four (Tuesday) I was able to ride again.  And we went out to the 'playground' and Porthos did some things that the other horses did not want to do -- and he wouldn't do some things that the other horses would do.  One of the things was going into the water (he is just not a water guy, I guess).  John worked with another horse and I watched, hoping to get ideas about how to get Porthos into the water.
John working with the Friesian horse (also a big guy). 
He did go into the water, but David (our camera-man)
had to go back to work, so no pictures of this accomplishment.
 
 
 
Porthos going through the pool noodles. 
A lot of horses didn't want to do this. 
Porthos was a little nervous at first 
because the noodles blow around,
but by the last day, he was mouthing them
and bumping them --
playing with them, so that was fun!
 
Jumping onto the second highest terrace
(the terraces were sort of like a pyramid).
 
Coming off the lowest terrace after going up to the highest.


Walking over one of the bridges. 
Porthos would even back off of it. 

So, Tuesday, I was feeling slightly better, but then John had a 'competition.'  I only like competitions if I might win.  This was depressing.  There were two corrals and a rider would take her horse into the corral, take off the halter and lead rope, go out of the corral, go and stand near a orange cone, wait until the signal to go, and then run to the corral, get the horse to 'catch you.' halter the horse, lead the horse out of the corral as fast as you could, run to a pedestal and jump on (just the person, not the horse).  It was timed.  I did it in 3.5 minutes, which doesn't sound too bad because I only hobble along, not run -- however, the next slowest time was 2.5 minutes.  The fastest time was 39 seconds.  I hate being last.  I went back to the hotel and thought about not attending the last day.

Tune in tomorrow to find out what happens the last day....

1 comment:

  1. Again -- love to see the pictures! I also like the links to the Parelli site. It really does sound like you and Porthos learned a lot together!

    ReplyDelete