Friday, January 22, 2010

What Kind of Dog is That?

I decided that a business that educated people about animals through presentations, interaction, and activities was a good idea when we started collecting our critters and taking them out for walks for lead training. We would be walking down the street with a llama and people would come out of houses and stop cars to ask questions. However, the need for animal education became really clear when we took a walk with Obadiah and then, a year later, with Gabriel.

Both were bottle-fed babies. Both, while we were out walking, would stop traffic and people would lean out of windows to ask, "What kind of dog is THAT?!?" I'd reply, "It's a kid" for Obadiah, or "It's a lamb" for Gabriel. The questioner would respond (about Obadiah), "THAT is NOT a kid!" I'd say, "Yep, it's a baby goat." Then they would query, "THAT is a GOAT?!?" And then there would be a lot of questions. While I wouldn't expect people to know the breed of the goat or sheep (I wouldn't have before I got them), it never occurred to me that they would not recognize that they were a goat or a sheep. And, since these were adults, I thought kids probably need animal related experiences, too.

Obadiah, an Oberhasli goat, has grown a lot this last year and Gabriel, a Shetland sheep, won't be mistaken for a dog this year! He has grown into a beautiful ram with lovely, though uneven, horns (he was in a fight with our fence), but he still follows me around like a favorite pooch!

So, contact the GEE Funny Farm to have our odd lot of animals, sometimes mistaken as dogs, as well as the other animals brought to you. You'll be glad that you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment