Saturday, January 12, 2013

Why buy Prickly Paul the hedgehog from a breeder?

     I often suggest going to a rescue or Humane Society to find a new pet.  I have found pets for the GEE Funny Farm on Craigslist.

     Why didn't I get a hedgehog from a rescue or Humane Society?  Well, I've watched for one, but haven't seen one.

     Why didn't I get a hedgehog from Craigslist from someone trying to 'rehome' theirs?  Because if they 'didn't have time' for their hedgehog, I would find a prickly ball with issues that I would have to overcome.  Hedgehogs need to be handled a lot, every day, so you CAN feel comfortable handling them.  Paul came with a bonding bag that I've carried with me the last two days.  His breeder handled him every day for the six weeks he was with her.  I could tell, because he was relaxed with her and with me when she handed him over.

     So, Thursday we picked him up and carried him in his bonding bag home.  When Nathaniel or I got him out, he would start out in a ball, but after a bit would relax -- thank goodness!  He is not very comfortable to hold when he is in protection mode!

     Friday I carried him around while I delivered meals on wheels (I even shared him with one of the people I often deliver to).  He was now relaxed when he was in his bag.  I could pet him and even touch his toes:)

     Today, I carried him around when I took Nathaniel home, did some shopping and once, while shopping, I had to take him out of the bag to check on him because he was so relaxed he felt limp!  That was scary -- and he didn't ball up until I touched his tummy -- then he turned into a prickly ball with a huff and a puff, so I decided he was okay.



      When I got home, I let him out and he crawled around on me, ate a little turkey from me, got a drink from a water bottle lid, and let me handle him a lot:)  That in three days.  Trying to 'tame' one that was older and had not been handled would have taken a lot longer.



       I've had people try to give me their unwanted pets.  In the old days, I might have taken them, but now I really need to pick and choose and only take in animals that I can use and that other people can pet.  It is sad, but true.  So, that is why I decided to go to a breeder this time.  I hope you get a chance to meet Paul.

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures. And the explanation is helpful, too. Will look forward to seeing him and showing him to the boys this summer.

    ReplyDelete